Boston SUV Rollover Accident Attorney
SUV rollovers are some of the scariest motor vehicle accidents that take place on Boston's roadways. While today's SUVs tend to be safer and more stable than their predecessors, these accidents happen more frequently than they should.
The legal landscape is complicated regarding personal injury and wrongful death claims involving SUV rollover accidents. The car accident lawyers at Jeffrey Glassman Injury Lawyers understand how these accidents happen, who is to blame, and how to obtain maximum compensation for clients.
If you or a family member has suffered an injury in an SUV rollover accident, we urge you to call our law firm for a free and confidential legal consultation. There are no fees until we win your case and recover money for you.SUVs Are More Likely to Be in Rollover Accidents Because of Their Build
SUVs, short for sport utility vehicles, started becoming popular in the 1990s. By late 1996, Consumer Digest magazine was writing about something it called the "SUV craze." Three years later, sales of SUVs and light trucks in the United States surpassed regular passenger cars for the first time. Today, SUVs account for almost 60% of vehicles sold. The sheer number of SUVs on Boston's streets and highways means that SUV rollovers are sure to happen.
SUVs have the potential to roll over more frequently than standard cars because of their height and narrow width. These characteristics make them top-heavy and give them a higher center of gravity, which decreases their stability.
Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveals that most passenger cars have about a 10% chance of rollover when involved in a single-vehicle accident compared to SUVs, which have between a 14% and 23% chance.
In addition to rollover accidents, SUVs are often involved in:
- Lane and road departure accidents: When drivers lose control of their SUVs, they can veer into another traffic lane or leave the road entirely.
- Ejection accidents: After an SUV rollover, the driver and passengers may be ejected from the vehicle and onto the road. The accident victim's injuries are often not from the rollover itself but an ejection.
- Defective vehicle claims: SUVs that are defective in design and manufacturing are prone to rollover accidents and should not be on the market. Vehicles with tire tread defects, poorly designed suspension systems, and faulty brakes, are prone to rollover accidents. Manufacturers should design and build SUV roofs so that they do not crush. A lawyer can help you file a product liability suit against a negligent vehicle and vehicle part manufacturers.
Modern SUVs have electronic stability control systems that prevent rollovers on flat roads. However, almost all rollovers occur when SUVs or other vehicles trip over low objects such as curbs or ditches and then tip over.Types of SUVs Most Likely to Be in Rollover Accidents
Industry groups perform vehicle safety tests to determine how likely a vehicle will roll over when involved in an accident.
One automotive reporter listed thee vehicles as most likely to roll over in an accident:
- Cadillac Escalade
- Chevrolet Tahoe
- Jeep Renegade
- Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Toyota 4Runner
- GMC Yukon
- Hyundai Accent
- Dodge Nitro
- Honda Element
- Nissan Nv3500
Remember, almost any motor vehicle can roll over in an accident, especially if the right conditions are present. Trucks, vans, and even cars are all at risk of rollover accidents.
One study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that new SUVs are much less likely to roll over because of electronic stability control and better car-based SUV designs. Still, many older SUVs remain on the road without the benefit of new designs or improved technology. Bad tires or other design flaws can still result in dangerous or deadly accidents.
Subsequent investigations have shown that some SUV manufacturers knew of the increased risk of rollover accidents. However, since mitigating those risks would have delayed product launches or reduced profits, they sold the dangerous and defective vehicles anyway.SUV Rollover Accident Injuries Are Often Fatal
Drivers and passengers involved in SUV rollover accidents often suffer severe, life-altering injuries such as:
- Broken and crushed bones
- Head and brain injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Neck, back, and spine injuries
- Wrongful death
The injury severity depends on various factors, including where you are sitting, the speed of impact, and whether the vehicle rolled onto its roof or side. Occupants often suffer injuries from the initial impact and the rollover. If the vehicle catches on fire, occupants trapped inside are at serious risk of burn injuries.
An SUV accident lawyer can help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. To prove your case, you will need to show that another party's negligence caused your injuries and damages. For example, in an SUV rollover case, you might need to show that a motorist hit you while texting and driving and that this act of negligence caused your rollover. The police report, photos of the accident scene, and eyewitness reports can all be used to prove your case.Reducing Your Risk of an SUV Rollover Accident
Fortunately, there are steps that Boston drivers can take to avoid or minimize rollover accidents:
- Avoid speeding, fatigued or drunk driving, and other conditions that can lead to losing control when behind the wheel.
- Use extra caution on rural roads or roads that are in poor condition. Do not speed or drive faster than road conditions permit. Most fatal rollover accidents occur in rural areas on undivided highways that lack barriers.
- Properly maintain tires by ensuring that they are inflated and that the tread is not worn.
- Avoid extreme steering.
- Ensure the vehicle is evenly loaded.
- Consider upgrading to a newer SUV if you have been driving an older model.
- Buckle up and make sure that your passengers do the same.
Government statistics show that 75% of all vehicle occupants killed in rollovers were not wearing seat belts.
If your family is dealing with an SUV rollover accident, contact the Boston personal injury lawyers and wrongful death attorneys at Jeffrey Glassman Injury Lawyers today at (617) 777-7777 for a free consultation or complete our online form.