Scars can be an ever-present reminder of a serious accident. Serious scarring can cause additional health issues and result in self-esteem and emotional issues. A victim may even be discriminated against in the workplace or passed over for certain jobs or promotions because of the lasting legacy of a scarring injury.
The Boston personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Glassman work with clients to address issues involving scar injuries, including the long-term prognosis for healing and the cost of reconstructive surgery and cosmetic resolutions.
A scar is an area of fibrous tissue that replaces skin tissue after injury. Scaring can result from a wide variety of accidents – including traffic accidents, work accidents, premise liability accidents, dog bites and defective product injuries. While scaring can be part of the natural healing process, the extent of scarring may even be influenced by exemplary or substandard medical care.Scar Injuries in Boston: Treatment and Prognosis
Types of scars include:
- Hypertrophic: A common form of scarring caused by an overproduction of collagen. Commonly appear as a red, raised lump of skin.
- Contracture scars: Often caused by burns, results in a contracting of the skin and impairment of movement. Scarring may be deep and may impact muscle and nerves.
- Keloid: Another common form of scarring. This is a more serious form of scarring because growth can continue until a large tumorous neoplasm forms.
- Atrophic: Appears as a pitted, sunken recess of skin. Typically occurs with the loss of fat, muscle and underlying supporting structure.
- Stretch marks: Can occur as a result of healing injuries, particularly around joins.
In some cases, particularly those involving children, healing and scar formation can be complicated by growth. Certain medical treatments, or lack of appropriate medical intervention, can also result in significant and permanent scarring.
Medical treatments for scars can include:
- Chemical peels.
- Filler injections
- Laser treatments
- Ointment and pressure dressings
In some cases, lack of proper medical care can lead to scarring or result in significant unnecessary scarring as wounds begin to heal. And too often medical professionals will indicate a patient should simply accept permanent scarring as a result of significant injury. And insurance companies my balk at making avaialable the resources necessary for recovery.
Our personal injury attorneys are dedicated to finding clients the answers and the financial resources they need to minimize the long-term impact of scarring in the wake of a serious accident. Each case is unique, but in many cases scarring can be minimized. Medical treatments can also reduce or eliminate scarring even after formation. Minimizing the long-term impact of scars is every bit as critical to a victim’s full recovery as dealing with the initial injuries.
If your or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact the Boston personal injury lawyers and wrongful death attorneys at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Glassman today for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your rights.
Boston Injury Lawyer - (617) 367-2900 -- Free Consultation